sábado, 10 de febrero de 2024

ELMO GS1200 ACHILLES HELL

My Elmo GS1200 Xenon

I have a love/hate relationship with the Elmo GS1200 mainly because there is always a new place where it damages my movies or suddenly fails technically in one place or another. However, once repaired, I always end up using my Xenon GS1200 again, in its xenon versionwith special arms for 700 meters, or my GS1200 PCom for some sound recordings. I thank Senator Ugo Grassi for the notice, with photographs, of the true Achilles heel of the GHS1200.
Photograph by Ugo Grassi

You are "playing" with your gs1200. You think how clear the stereo audio is, how bright it is with its Xenon lamps, when suddenly the rear coil stops spinning. Or the front one no longer turns. Or the main motor no longer starts, or the film rewind doesn't even start...

Photograph by Ugo Grassi


The real Achilles heel of the GS are the two command relays. The contacts are covered with a silver/nickel, silver/cadmium oxide or silver/tin oxide metal alloy. This alloy is consumed with every spark. If you clean the contacts the projector will start working again, but the defect will return very quickly because the spark will strike the "bare" metal.

New ones command relays can be ordered HERE

Photograph by Ugo Grassi



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario