lunes, 6 de noviembre de 2023

PAINFUL FILM EDITING: THE SUPEREIGHTER SYNDROME

Shooting a documentary as "Perfect Antarctic Madness" with real S8 film imposes rigorous discipline in every sense in order not to waste valuable film, which, in the month and a half I spent in Antarctica, I was only able to carry in very limited quantities, traveling only me, without any help.

In documentaries, obviously,  without a story board, it´s inevitable to have to shorten shots. This is something very painful: we must fight against what I call "the supereighter syndrome", that is, the tendency to use practically everything that has been filmed. 

However, and with great pain in my heart, for a documentary that will be released commercially in theaters and broadcast on television, there is no alternative but to shorten scenes. 

It hurts a lot to use scissors because we are talking about cutting in the original film that lived with me my hardships in the continent of desolation. But there is no other option. 

Of course, I will keep the "out takes" on a reel, in my film archive, because you never know if I will be able to use them as a resource in another job.



1 comentario: