domingo, 11 de octubre de 2026

EDITING NEGATIVE ON A FILM VIEWER. Moviola para negativo.

(En español, al final).

Whenever I shoot on negative film, one of my main concerns is to handle the original as little as possible. After all, that small roll of film is the true master of the work, which means that any scratch, speck of dirt or damage caused during editing will inevitably follow us into every subsequent print.

For this reason, as soon as I have processed the negative in my own laboratory using my JOBO CPP Classic, I carefully clean it with Fujifilm 2 in 1, splice the different rolls together and immediately have it digitised. It is from this digital copy that I carry out the first complete edit of the film on the computer, trying different cuts, timings and structures with complete freedom, without subjecting the original negative to repeated journeys through viewers, reels and splicers.

Only when the digital edit is completely finished and every decision has been made does the time come to replicate that edit, shot by shot, on the original negative, working with the utmost care, cleanliness and precision.

For many years I used my beloved Minette S5 for this purpose, an editing viewer that is extraordinarily gentle on film. Some years ago, however, I finally surrendered to the advantages of the motorised Japanese film viewer shown in the photograph which, like the Minette, possesses what for me is an absolutely essential quality: it leaves no marks on the precious negative.


When working directly with the original, avoiding marks is no minor consideration. A film viewer may be perfectly suitable for editing a positive print and yet not be the machine one would wish to use for running an irreplaceable negative backwards and forwards time after time.

For splicing, the ideal solution would probably be a Hammann, such as the one used by my friend Marc Marti. I, however, remain faithful to the Fuji De Luxe, a splicer that I have always loved and have been using for the past fifty years.

Once the physical editing of the negative has been completed, I reach the only stage of the entire process that I cannot carry out myself here: printing the negative onto positive film. For this I send the edited negative to Andec Filmtechnik in Berlin, where I also request an ultrasonic cleaning before printing. I want the negative to reach the printer in the best possible condition after the entire editing process.

In this way, digital technology, far from replacing traditional film editing in my case, becomes a magnificent ally of photochemical cinema: it allows me to make every decision without putting the original at risk, and to handle the negative only once, when I already know exactly where I have to cut. And it is then, with the negative on the viewer and the splicer beside me, that editing once again becomes what it was for more than a century: film, light, scissors and irreversible decisions.


MOVIOLA PARA NEGATIVO.

Cuando filmo en negativo, una de mis principales preocupaciones es manipular el original lo menos posible. Al fin y al cabo, ese pequeño rollo de película constituye el auténtico máster de la obra, de forma que cualquier arañazo, mota de suciedad o deterioro producido durante el montaje terminará acompañándonos en las copias posteriores.

Por esa razón, nada más revelar el negativo en mi laboratorio con la JOBO CPP Classic, lo limpio cuidadosamente con Fujifilm 2 in 1, empalmo los distintos rollos y procedo inmediatamente a su digitalización. Es sobre esa copia digital donde realizo en el ordenador el primer montaje completo de la película, probando cortes, duraciones y estructura con absoluta libertad, sin someter el negativo original a un continuo ir y venir por moviolas, bobinas y empalmadoras.

Solamente cuando el montaje digital está completamente terminado y todas las decisiones están tomadas llega el momento de replicar ese montaje, plano por plano, sobre el negativo original, trabajando entonces con el máximo cuidado, limpieza y precisión.

Durante muchos años utilicé para ello mi querida Minette S5, una moviola extraordinariamente respetuosa con la película. Sin embargo, hace ya tiempo terminé rindiéndome ante las ventajas de esta moviola japonesa motorizada que aparece en la fotografía y que, al igual que la Minette, tiene para mí una cualidad absolutamente fundamental: no marca el preciado negativo.

Cuando se trabaja directamente sobre el original, evitar marcas no es una cuestión menor. Una moviola puede resultar magnífica para montar una copia positiva y, sin embargo, no ser la máquina que uno quiera utilizar para hacer pasar una y otra vez por ella un negativo irrepetible.

Para los empalmes, la solución ideal sería probablemente una Hammann, como la que utiliza mi amigo Marc Marti. Sin embargo, sigo fiel a la Fuji De Luxe, una empalmadora que siempre me ha encantado y con la que llevo trabajando desde hace cincuenta años.

Una vez terminado el montaje físico del negativo, llega la única fase de todo el proceso que no puedo realizar personalmente aquí: el tiraje del negativo a positivo. Para ello envío el negativo montado a Andec Filmtechnik, en Berlín, encargando también una limpieza ultrasónica antes del positivado. Prefiero que el negativo llegue a la copiadora en las mejores condiciones posibles después de todo el proceso de montaje.

De este modo, la tecnología digital, lejos de sustituir en mi caso al montaje tradicional, se convierte en una magnífica aliada del cine fotoquímico: me permite tomar todas las decisiones sin castigar el original y tocar el negativo una sola vez, cuando ya sé exactamente dónde tengo que cortar. Es entonces, con el negativo sobre la moviola y la empalmadora al lado, cuando el montaje vuelve a ser lo que fue durante más de un siglo: película, luz, tijera y decisiones irreversibles.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario